Memory Of My Dreadful Experience In A Train Journey

Memory Of My Dreadful Experience In A Train Journey 


That was probably in 1954, when my cousin took me back home at Mattancherry, Cochin (then), Kerala, India by train. I was then six years old, and my cousin was over ten years older than me who took me to Irinjalakuda, 40 miles away from Cochin. The dreadful  incident happened on our way back travelling by train. My cousin was very fond of celebrating colourful  Irinjalakuda church festival. I showed my enthusiasm in going with my cousin to Irinjalakuda church festival. My cousin persuaded  my parents to allow me to go with him, as it was a unique opportunity to meet other cousins, see the fireworks and church illumination. Those days I was more interested in travelling, especially by train than enjoying church festival. My parents agreed, and my father gave strict instructions on looking after me. I stayed a couple of days in my maternal grandparents house in the centre of Irinjalakuda. My cousin took me to the church on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon and I enjoyed the church processions, illuminations and fireworks. It was planned to return to Cochin on Monday and we bid farewell to my maternal grandparents and left their home

First we got a bus uniquely painted dark green going to Irinjalakuda railway Station. My cousin bought third class tickets in a passenger train going south to Mattancherry Halt station, from there we have to get another bus to get to my home at Mattancherry. The carriage of the train in which we got in at Irinjalakuda railway station was fairly busy, but we managed to get a seat. The train moved slowly belching black plumes of smoke, and I enjoyed watching the paddy fields. Unlike now, there was only a single broad gauge track and trains travelling in opposite direction cross each other at the short double track in some of the stations. This strategic single track railway line between Shoranur to Cochin Harbour Terminus was built by the British Empire by the persuasion of then Maharaja. The train reached Chalakudy, which had only one platform on the east side and another track on the west side. Those days, one can visualise collection of numerous logs of timber on the opposite side of the platform. Being a passenger train, the stopping time in Chalakudy was very lavish. Chalakudy station kiosks were known for serving tasty snacks and good flavour tea. My cousin thought it was an ideal place to have a tea, and he went out of the carriage to the platform leaving me alone. I watched him disappearing in the crowd  on the platform. For my distress, suddenly the train shunted back, towards Irinjalakuda side, whereby I got restless, and agitated. The co-passengers were very considerate and tried to calm me down as I started to cry. After reversing two train lengths distance,the train then moved forwards,changed the track and stopped on the other side of the station with the view of the timber. There was no platform on the stopped side. I was anxiously looking outside towards the platform to get a glimpse of my cousin. There he was on the platform, he too found to be anxious and panicky. At the same time, an express train arrived whistling blocking our vision, stopped on the platform side of the station. It stopped there only for a few minutes and moved away north. Immediately, my cousin crossed the railway track, got into the carriage and hugged me.I have never felt such relief, and the co-passengers noticed my sigh of relief. Looking back, I feel it was really a horrible experience.



Post a Comment

Covid-19 Vaccine On The Horizon

An Overview Of Aesthetic Medicine

Covid-19 Burning Questions Answered